Thursday 24 November 2016

Semuc Champey Jan/16

Flores was a big turning point for me for a couple of different reasons. It was kind of the invisible line in the sand for me, the no turning back point as it where. I had crossed two borders at this point and had met so many amazing people along the way. I spent New Years Eve here and you may trust me when I tell you that it was just a absolute goat rodeo with a lot of good memories and fun times!

The Amigos
 
Mal, Pat and I were now the three amigos, I somehow convinced them to come with me to Coban, an off the gringo trail town in Guatemala on the way to Semuc Champey. I'm glad they came because to be honest at this point I was definitely still pretty chicken, especially compared to these to road warriors. They traveled without fear cooked for themselves on the road even hand washed they're own clothes and mine! Truly far better and intelligent travelers than this gringo could ever aspire to be! Please keep in mind that Coban was my idea and mine alone! I have to own that before we continue here. After what seemed to an all day excursion on the chicken bus we finally roll up to Coban. Our bus parks at least a 20 min walk out of town and it is just dumping rain all over us, the girls cant be happy but their tough and I'm the only one complaining lol. We walk around the town for a couple hours or so because the hostel I wanted to go to no longer exists. I feel like this is turning into a nightmare......I'm hungry. Luckily we find a spot and have a good sleep. It was cool to see the town and eat locally before we took off the next day to Semuc.

Semuc!
I had never heard of Semuc but trusted my Amigos not to lead me astray. We hoped off the shuttle and onto the back of what I thought was a random truck. As we speed off into the jungle on this old dirt road the movie Hostel popped into my head. I thought OMG where are we going what truck are we in, are we in a trap? Of course nothing could more wrong! After a decent trek through the bush we come out to what can only be described as a beautiful nightmare. It is one of the most beautiful hostels I had ever been to buuuuut theres a catch! The Amigos did lead me astray its a vegetarian Hostel!!! Brutal… they got me good on that one! 1-0... I mean I eat meat 4 times a day at least. They knew it too! They told me it would be good for me lol. We spent three nights sleeping in hammocks their… it was very good. It was a sad day when I had to leave the Amigos, I had grown very fond of them, like a little traveling family. To Lake Atalan …alone for the first time in probably a month.

Sophie and I, see she's not paddling lol
Being alone did not last long though. I met, who would be later known as the worst woman and worst man ever! Lol… ahhh good times. The worst woman ever and I rented a double kayak, it was extremely hard getting around... I knew she wasn't paddling!.....The worst lol. Sophie though was of course not really the worst woman ever, she's far more cultured and a way better traveler than I will ever be. One day we will travel again ! If ever in Guatamala, Lake Atalan is a great spot to check out, I can recall a night playing cards with a bunch of other travelers. When out of the blue the bartender announced that if anyone got naked and jumped out of the two story bar a round of shots would be on the house. Say no more! I'm your man! Saving a dollar that would have cost to purchase was more than enough than I needed to hear. Into my birthday suit immediately! I hopped out of the bar and into the lake! However I did not have the foresight to think I should carry my shorts in hand for after I landed in the pool. The walk back up through the streets filled with locals would be interesting to say the least. Luckily for me a young lady waited for me on the shore shorts in hand thank you nameless stranger !
Next stop Antigua and the black sand beaches of El Salvador.




No comments:

Post a Comment