Saturday 26 November 2016

Nicaragua and Honduras

Hind sight is 20-20 or so they say. Looking back on all this rushed unplanned gallop through Central America the only regret that I have is that I didn't take my time and enjoy the country's as much as I should have. Although showing up without a plan and going with the flow did give me a most excellent adventure and one not soon forgotten. I can recall times that I had skipped certain places or events that I would have otherwise loved to see or experience on the road had I planned a bit more.....Even just a bit.


The first tour through Nicaragua was a quick stint in the town of Leon. It was a nice change of pace, it had a movie theater and fried chicken stands everywhere! This is also where I met Matty-ice, the young charismatic American girl who twisted my rubber arm to go to Honduras;
Ice: "Come to Honduras with me"
Me: "Ok." 
The view from the Hostel
Looking out from the hostel !
  Just like that we were on the bus the next day. Utila island would be the destination of choice, scuba diving was the reason for me. While there I completed my Advanced diving cert which included a deep water dive. While on the course they cracked a egg under water and a transparent fish ate the complete intact yoke! I watched the yoke move threw the fishes body ......Amazing! We also did a wreck dive. During a night dive we saw some gorgeous scenery and beautiful fish down there. The night dive for me was pretty intense. I thought to myself that diving in the Caribbean, El Carib..... at night was a daunting and reckless notion! As it turned out my fears were for naught. No sea creatures licked me or anything, not inappropriately anyways. Utila is renowned for its Caribbean diving. For me it held a different significance, it was where I would meet the Wolfman himself Big Ben. Ben and I enjoyed the island and all it had to offer for weeks. The events we enjoyed included but not limited to Skid Row bar, flame batons, and late night raves in the hostel. Ah yes good times indeed! Unfortunately like all good times it had a expiration date. And not unlike Mexico had it not been for a fellow traveler, (Ben), I would have no doubt missed the ferry out of that place! It would have been very easy to spend all my time and pesos on the little island paradise. Back to Leon for round 2!

Next on the docket Nicaragua Round 2 and Sunday Funday in the world renowned Playa Del Sur!



 


No comments:

Post a Comment